Mission and History
St. Thomas’s Day School is a diverse co-educational independent day school serving children from Kindergarten through grade six that is rooted in both character education and academic rigor.
St. Thomas’s Day School is a diverse community of children, teachers, parents and parishioners working together to foster learning in the context of faith and personal commitment. As a mission of Saint Thomas’s Episcopal Church, the Day School seeks to educate children broadly by cultivating intelligence while engaging heart and spirit. The School seeks to motivate children of diverse races, creeds, and backgrounds to become independent thinkers who appreciate, understand and serve others.
Diverse: We seek to strengthen the commonalities that bind us as a community and view diversity as a way to provide us with knowledge, skills and experiences necessary to navigate in a complex society of human differences.
Personal Commitment: We create an environment where students are self-reliant and resilient. They take pride in and develop a strong commitment to their academics, extracurriculars and friendships.
Intelligence: St. Thomas’s was founded to offer all children a strong and meaningful elementary school experience. Our dynamic programs instill a strong foundation for students to be successful both emotionally and academically beyond their time at St. Thomas’s.
Motivate: Our inspiring teachers seek to encourage and support each student to push themselves in and out of the classroom.
Thinkers: Our dedicated faculty inspire students to ask questions, make decisions and problem solve in and out of the classroom.
St. Thomas’s Day School’s Motto Lived out
- Exhibits academic growth and embraces life long learning.
- Understands one’s own strengths and their place in the world.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively.
- Our child oriented approach to learning is responsive to children’s needs, interests and abilities.
- Displays respect for others by exercising inclusivity, empathy, respect and compassion.
- Acknowledges and understand diverse perspectives and cultures.
- Recognizes the responsibility of being a citizen of the world.
- Our moral vision fosters values of honesty, compassion, fairness, courage, responsibility and mutual respect.
- Pursues understanding with an adventurous spirit.
- Demonstrates innovative and progressive thinking.
- Displays a grown mindset by engages in courageous exploration and problem solving.
- A web of trust exists throughout the community which creates an emotionally safe environment where children are empowered to take risks and learn from their mistakes.